One Day Without Us is a national day of action on 17 February 2018, celebrating migrants and migration in the UK. Find out how you can get involved.
By Sophie Craik
The University of Edinburgh staff population is incredibly international. With 19% from the EU, and 12% from outside of Europe, just under a third of our staff cohort is international, and without them we would not be able to keep going.
To celebrate them and demonstrate the importance of migration to our continued success, we are taking part in One Day Without Us.
What is One Day Without Us?
One Day Without Us is a national day of action taking place on 17 February 2018. It celebrates migrants and migration in the UK.
Last year, many schools, departments and teams took part around the University.
This included celebratory lunches, informative blog posts and striking images, such as this one from the School of Informatics:
This year, we would love to see an even bigger response from the university community to this day of action.
How to get involved
We want to highlight all the things we would be unable to do without our international staff members. Whether that’s order a coffee in one of our cafes, teach an entire course, or run a department, we want you to show our international staff what they mean to you and the University of Edinburgh as a whole.
You can attend One Night With Us on the 17th of February, An evening of fun, solidarity, live music & dancing, international food and fundraising.
If you're a member of staff at the University of Edinburgh, you could send us:
- Send us a collection of selfies of your team
- Submit before and after photos of what your team looks like with and without those who consider themselves international
- Take a photo of something that represents the international nature of the University of Edinburgh
- Do a short video message talking about why international staff members are important
- Make a short video of your international staff members talking about their work or being a part of the University of Edinburgh community
- Film yourself drawing or writing a message of solidarity with the day of action
Writing & social
- Send a few sentences with your thoughts
- Write a post on your social media channels using the hashtag #1DayWithoutUs - the organisation suggests posting at 2pm to try to gain as much visibility for the movement
- Share/retweet one of the social posts on the day
We will compile your submissions into a feature, which will also be distributed via the Flag, our staff email, and the central University social media channels will be sharing your contributions also.
Get in touch
Please do let us know if you’re planning on getting involved with One Day Without Us this year. If you want to take part but don’t have the resources, we can help. Just let us know what you have in mind!
UoE students and our wider community
Post your celebration of migrants and migration on social and tag the University of Edinburgh - we'd love to see your photos, videos and thoughts.
Remember to share and comment on the social media activity, and participate by using #1DayWithoutUs.